Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tips for Living Wicca: Make an Offering Pouch

It’s springtime, and there’s no better way to enjoy the season in my opinion than to go on a little nature walk. As I hit the hiking trail in a local nature preserve, it just struck me that there were so many things to be thankful for. Life is amazing, nature is amazing, the cycles of the planet and the seasons—I am in awe of it all.
I wanted to make an offering, and all I had on me was my bottled water, so I made a small libation and offered a prayer of thanks.

It made me remember that I have gotten out of the habit of carrying around an offering pouch. Due to an auto-immune disease attacking my lungs, I was partially wheelchair bound for a little over a year and really couldn't go walking anymore. So I guess it just fell out of my mind.

An offering pouch might contain herb, seeds and other such natural items – all non-toxic and biodegradable, of course – in a little sealed bag. As you go about your day, when the mood strikes you, you simply open your pouch and take a pinch to make an offering.

This is a habit I plan to get back into very soon, especially since I am healing and able to take walks again-- I have a lot to be thankful for. 

My advice for you today: make your own offering pouch.

Whether you use a zip-lock bag, or hand-sew your own drawstring pouch adorned with symbols and runes is up to you. The important thing is to create a mixture to fill it with, and carry it around. The kinds of things that might go into it include dried herbs, roasted seeds, cornmeal, flower petals and other such items.

Don’t include salt, which can be harmful to some plants. Also, don’t include live seeds that might take root, especially if they’re of an invasive species.

Carry it with you, and whenever you feel thankful or grateful to nature, offer a prayer of thanks and make an offering. This helps us keep spiritual-minded and fosters the attitude of gratitude.



How often do you find yourself thankful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment