Monday, February 16, 2015

Tips for Living Wicca: Do Some Bird Watching

I love watching birds. These creatures of air never cease to amaze me with their power of flight. How they glide through the sky, seemingly effortlessly and without a care in the world. 

I've found bird watching to become a powerful meditative experience myself. My spirit animal happens to be a bird (blue jay). On Hubpages, I wrote of one of the most profound experiences of my life that involved birds. You can find that here:

Religious Experiences: Gift From My Spirit Animal

The idea of watching birds being a spiritual experience is not new; the ancient Romans practiced augury, the practice of interpreting the will of the Gods by watching the flight of birds. It's a form of divination. The Greeks had similar practices. 

Ornithomancy is a more modern term for divination with birds. This involves studying flights, patterns, behaviors and cries of birds. With their ability to soar into the heavens, it's no wonder birds have long been considered spiritual messengers and heralds of the Gods. 

My Tip for You Today: Do some bird watching. Get into the habit. 

You don't have to become a full-on ornithomancy; but it's good to start making yourself aware of our feathered friends, even if only to put yourself in touch with the local cycles of nature. Consider it an exercise in the Element of Air.  

Then again, you might start getting some signs and messages that you weren't expecting.

Share your mystical experiences with birds here.


No comments:

Post a Comment