Monday, June 22, 2015

Tips for Living Wicca: Be a Synthetic Witch

I remember when the movie The Craft came out... overnight, a whole hoard of people popped up claiming to be a 'Natural Witch'. To this day, people like to tote that one out and wear it like a badge of honor. Some even go so far as to say they're a 'Natural Wiccan'. 

I have never understood that someone, let alone a Witch, could buy into that concept... who doesn't have the potential to be a 'Natural Witch'? 

After all, isn't Witchcraft utilizing the natural energies of nature? And are we not all nature, all made from those energies? By virtue of that, isn't that natural for everyone?

Who doesn't have the potential to become a Wiccan? Would our Gods turn people away? Would tenets of things like finding balance or taking responsibility for oneself not be beneficial to just about anyone? 

Some will argue that their mother, grandmother, great aunt Tilly, etc. practiced some kind of folk magic or divination, by virtue of that they're a Natural Witch... well, everyone could trace back in time and find ancestors who practiced some kind of magic... that's a given. 

Someone actually raised in Witchcraft by actual practicing Witches knows that Witchcraft isn't so natural-- it takes a lot of work. No matter what a person's innate talents are, without the learning and the effort, without the work, they do you little good. 

And likewise, some will argue that being a Natural Wiccan is because their family had a Wiccan in it, or they were exposed to Wicca at a very early age. Likewise, I would say, does that make people 'Natural Christians' and 'Natural Scientologists'? No... you still need to practice a religion to be a religion. 

So when people say they're a Natural Witch... or a Natural Wiccan... it's a bit like claiming to be a Natural Human. Yeah, big deal. We all are. 

My Tip for You Today: Don't be a Natural.

The problem with a lot of these so-called 'naturals' is that they kind of give themselves a false sense of security. They don't realize how much work should still be involved... that's why I have to say 95% of the 'naturals' I've met are people who are more dabblers than anything else. They just kind of float along on their instincts and think it always has been, and so always will be, good enough; but they don't seem to really make much progress. 

I prefer to say I'm a 'Synthetic Witch', lol. The most skilled and wise Witches and Wiccans I've known have been of the 'non-natural' sort. I didn't get here by trying to claim some natural birthright... it's not enough to say "I am a Natural Plumber because my Grandfather was a plumber". You have to put in the work.

I have spent hours upon hours meditating, studying, reading, taking notes, re-reading (there are books I've read 5 - 10 times), discussing, pondering, contemplating, experimenting, practicing. Likewise, as a Wiccan, I have spent a great deal of time learning and putting my faith into practice. 

Witchcraft and Wicca... they aren't birth rights in a sense that all you need in you is some natural ability or inclination. Everyone has that. Everyone is born with psychic abilities to some extent (though many people are trained out of it by our society). Everyone can sense energy and utilize nature. But it's up to you to take your potential and use it, learn it, study it, use it, and become skilled at it. 

No, I'm not a natural Witch, or a natural Wiccan. I proudly admit I had to work hard to get where I am, and look forward to continuing to work for what will come in the future (I have certainly not reached the peak of my path yet). 

Work for it... being born with something is merely chance; that's not what makes anyone special. What makes you special is what you make of your potential, because that is not by chance. That's by your own efforts, and you should be proud of that. 


Are you willing to work for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment