Friday, July 10, 2015

Tips for Living Wicca: Hang Your Flag This Way

In America, flag etiquette says that the US flag flies on top of the flag pole, other flags go below it. I read today in the news that a group of Christians churches are defying that; they're flying a Christian flag on top at their church, and the American flag below it. 

You can learn about it here at the God before Government movement. The premise is that your faith/religious beliefs should come first, even before your government.

Some people are slamming these Christians... I actually don't disagree with them. 

I'm a religious person-- I'm Wiccan, and my religion is a huge part of my life. I consider myself a fairly patriotic person-- I love my country, I would defend it against enemies both foreign and domestic, etc. etc... however, this group got me thinking, should your government really come before everything?

And I have to agree with Dr. Rit Varriale, founder of the God before Government movement: no, a person's relationship with their Gods should come before their duty to their government.  

That shouldn't exempt people from the US laws, of course. If you want to live in a theocracy, move to one. But displaying your devotion to your Gods (and Goddesses, which goes without saying) above your dedication to your country? I see nothing wrong with that. After all, a country is a country; but your Gods have to do with, like, life, the universe and everything. 

Not only do I fully support it, but I think all religions should feel free to follow suit by putting their flag on top of the American flag. I think we should support each other in doing it. 

I respect people who choose not to do it as well... that is the beauty of living in a free country. 

Seriously... I'm not even being sarcastic here.

My Tip for You Today: support your country, as well as your Gods, and feel free to put your Gods first. 

I went to the God Before Government movement Facebook page and posted this in support of their cause with a few words of praise.



  


Sadly they don't appreciate my support and quickly deleted my post... guess they're not as gung-ho on freedom as they claim to be. But it's still a good idea. 



No comments:

Post a Comment