Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Tips for Living Wicca: Prepare to Have Your Mind Blown

Yes, I'm exaggerating; I always get a bit loopy in Summertime for some reason, I think the heat goes to my head. But then again, depending on what you know, maybe not. 

Here is today's lesson summed up in a nutshell:



I still see a lot of people, newbies and not-so-newbies alike, who extol the virtues of 'The Wiccan Rede', and go on to recite the long poem by Gwen Thompson (who then went on to claim it was written by her grandmother Adriana Porter, before Gardner founded Wicca-- but that's pretty much been debunked since the original version incorrectly uses archaic language throughout and many of the concepts came about post-Gardner).

So what's the problem with Thompson's version of the "Rede of the Wiccae" (the original title)? 

Well, nothing if you like it-- the problem is when everyone keeps perpetuating the misconception that all Wiccans adhere to it as if it were some sort of scripture.

It's not. In fact, you could point out a great deal of things that are not universal Wiccan beliefs:

- not all Wiccans cast a circle thrice
- not all consider the circle used to keep unwelcomed spirits out
- there are a whole host of philosophies as to why people would use deosil or widdershins
- many Wiccans do not consider the waning moon 'baleful'
- kissing the hand to the moon, let alone twice, is part of Thompson's trad, but not universally Wiccan
- burning 9 woods in a cauldron, again, is Thompson's trad, not universal
- not all wear stars on the brow for any reason

Some just outright makes no sense (can you burn wood fast and slow? And simultaneously? Why won't departed souls have rest when the wind blows from the west?) 

My Tip for You Today: Spread the word.

I can't tell you how many websites, blogs, articles, etc., from newbies to potential Wiccans, to Wiccans who've been Wiccan for years, to people who are not even Pagan just looking to explain  Wicca to others. I mean, sometimes I'm doing research or browsing blogs and message forums and I can see it like 10 times a day! 
I come across where people say "This is the Wiccan Rede, and all Wiccans follow it..." Ummm; nope. Not actually. 

Enjoy Thompson's poem if you want (frankly I myself have never been a fan, nor is it considered relevant in my trad). If it 'speaks' to you, it's certainly something you should embrace. There's nothing wrong with it... the only thing wrong is that it's misidentified, which leads to confusion.

Spread the word far and wide across cyberspace that it's not really the Wiccan Rede. You'll be amazed at how many people do not know this. 





Are you wise to the Wiccan Rede?

No comments:

Post a Comment